Wednesday, January 26, 2011

BEAUTIFUL IMPERFECTION

Artiste: Aa (pronounced "Asha")

Album: Beautiful Imperfection

Original Release Date: October 25, 2010

Genres: Soul, jazz

Label: Naive

Production: Benjamin Constant

 It’s a quiet morning and I am sitting in my favorite coffee shop in all the land and I just got some loose change in my PayPal account so I decide to purchase an album and I decide on Asa.
 I know some people would say "since morring??" well I am slow like that sometimes.
    First thing that stands out on this album is the album artwork, the simplistic nature of it all just a close up of her face and the natural hair is classic and i love the album already..
 Although i am suspicious of one eye cracked glasses *hmmmm* you know the whole illuminati thing..but what do i care!
  As i go on to listen to the album you get   a different sound and feel of Asa as an artiste and you can’t help but notice how distinct this album is from her previous one.
My beautiful imperfection, is a slow, calming float through the waters of Asa's relationships and experiences with people and believe me when I say slow and calming!
  It would seem like being signed to a foreign label for a long time is finally starting to change the kind of music she puts out. There’s a sort of retro/rock/soulish  feel to this album that is blatantly European regardless of the Yoruba songs on the album and you can’t help but wonder if its  targeted at a different market altogether.
 In a world where number of units moved is more important to the average artiste than anything else it is great to hear an album with absolutely no features at all and i respect that about this album.
  The album has 4 Yoruba themed songs and the others are in English but you still get that Yoruba accented soul type voice and I am loving it.
I would have loved to see a few tracks on here produced by Cobhams (the chemistry between those two is amazing) , but you cannot deny that Benjamin Constant did a fantastic job and I would be on the lookout for more songs produced by him
   I would be the first to admit that this album does not compare to her debut album but realistically, how many artistes can eclipse their debut albums anyway? Our very own 9ice is still struggling at it. M.I couldn’t do it and the list goes on. Regardless it’s still a superb album and one that I will have on repeat for a while.
Thumbs up Asa.

3 comments:

  1. am i big fan of Asa. i like the new album. i think she tried doing something different and i think she was succesful about it.

    http://thepandora234.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this album.!

    ReplyDelete