Thursday, January 27, 2011

M.I.2 - The Movie (Late review)

So, M.I's MI 2 - The movie dropped last year and I know I should have done a review of this already, but I just started my blog naaa!
 Anyways, MI 2 was high on my list of anticipated albums and I can boldly say I was amongst one of the first people to buy the album online.
  As soon as the download was done I transferred the album to my iPod and I was ready to be blown away by the short black boi and honestly I was not disappointed
 The album was a perfect blend of hardcore and commercial rap with an aim to convert ordinary folks who don’t normally listen to rap
  M.I.2 was packed with so many good tracks and some really surprising but superb features. Who would have thought M.I would do a song with timaya and that it would be that good or a Hi-life themed hip-hop song would be one of the albums high points
From the energetic “Action” with the ever impressive Brymo killing the hook, followed by the mellow ragga-themed “slow down” to the palm-winey “Number one” all the way to the “Beef” track then the romantic “one naira” with Waje and a host of others, it’s obvious that a lot of planning went into the album, which is particularly evident in the momentum of the album in itself. Heck! it took 2 years in the making
Stand out tracks include "Epic" feat praise, "Action film", "Number one" feat flavor, "Represent" feat choc Boys, "One Naira" feat waje, "Nobody" feat Tuface and "Beef".
  One thing that frustrated me a little on the album was the skits/end of song outro things. There were about 8 of them. Some of you might not understand how annoying that is; till you try playing the whole album while you drive or you just want to hear music and not all the talk talk. Don’t get me wrong it’s cool when you first listen to the album but over time it’s a little annoying. With all the fake accents and the "lets kill M.I" drama
I am guessing that was what Kelly hansome meant when he said the album sounded like a mixtape
  All in all I think it was an awesome album, despite the fact that it doesn't come close to his debut. MI2 was targeted to a larger population of music listeners rather than just hip hop heads. The album succeeded in raising the bar high for all other rap albums and I can imagine a lot of rappers going back to the drawing board
Thumbs up M.I!
 SN: Did you notice MI called out Iceberg slim twice on the album? Should we be expecting another reply-a-la hansome?

No comments:

Post a Comment