Wednesday, March 16, 2011

F.A.M.E Review.....Shhhhsshhh

Last weekend, not long after Chris Browns nude pics leaked online, he took to twitter again to say his album was leaked.
The album titled F.A.M.E, which means Forgiving All My Enemies or Fans Are My Everything (Please Make up your mind Chris) was scheduled to drop on the 22nd of March but a quick search on lime wire or any torrent site would turn up major hits for the album download. Totally sucks!
I am not Chris Brown’s biggest fan by any means, but if it’s one thing I have come to appreciate its people with true talent regardless of whatever genre of music it is, and I always try my best to support them. So I was disappointed when I heard about the leak.
Never the less Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to get a copy of the album last night. To be more politically correct I would rather say I got “an exclusive first listen” of the album!
My first issue is the Album cover; "Chris what is this?" "You look like a very active wife beater" geez! anything else would have been better #Fail
The album was written in almost all its entirety by Breezy and produced my Kevin McCall, Tha Bizness, DJ Frank E and a host of others. Features by Lil Wayne, nearly washed up Busta Rhymes, Wiz Khalifa, Justin Bieber and Ludacris help make the album worth listening to.
Grammy nominated “Deuces” is the perfect opener for the 18 track album and no one can deny this track is a total street banger. Thumbs up to Tyga and Kevin McCall for holding their own on the track.

Up to you” which is the next track is Chris at his finest. The track sounds like something usher would have been at home on. It’s another breakup song though, but then again aren’t all RnB songs about break ups or true love. Lovely track though has a nice old school vibe that RnB heads (if there’s anything like that) would enjoy.

No bull S*** keeps up with the slow jams vibe of the previous track and its so 90’s, it sounds like Jodeci was on there. Not one of my favorite tracks though but it was superbly produced and its what I would call “sex me up music” enough said!

"Look at Me Now" ups the tempo with Chris brown at his braggadocious best, and features Breezy rapping about his all too popular d***. Not to mention Busta Rhymes and Lil wayne going in hard. Diplo and Afrojack produced the track but honestly it had Timberland written all over it. The video dropped sometime last week and it wasn’t bad at all.

Michael Jackson’s “human nature” was sampled on the next track “ She Aint You”. Ill say it’s a tribute to the King of pop and he really did it justice. We already knew he could cover Michael near perfectly so no surprise here.

My favorite track so far is “Say It With Me’’. It’s got that Justin Timberlake feel, with the high pitch chorus and Breezy is back to rapping and he was quite decent. Truth be told the beat sold the track though and I imagine this being a radio hit and a club favorite with people cutting weird shapes onto the dance floor.

Something for Breezy’s fans in faraway Europe. “Yeah 3x” , is an all-out pop song. With absolutely no content on the chorus or what so ever but guaranteed to make you dance period. It’s already been topping charts in Europe with its catchy Electro feel and sing along lyrics. Smart move man!

Chris and the one with the golden hair; Justin Beiber do a call and response number with “Next 2 You”. I have to say it’s a little weird for two “straight” guys to sing a call and response type song. Whatever happened to all the other female RnB artistes out there?? but maybe it’s just me not liking the Biebs I don’t know. Don’t get me wrong though it’s a good song…errr not for me though.

Classic Breezy on “All back” Here he sings about lost love and all that other mushy stuff. The chorus on here is so powerful! This is simply Chris brown showing off his vocals. I am totally impressed. It would make my day to see a rock/alternative version of this track. It’s definitely going on my playlist.

Luda! That’s all I can say to this next one. You know how the MC does those “sex you” type music and the track is rightly titled “Wet the Bed”. The track is complete with females groaning and moaning in the background. Christian sisters should probably skip this on..Just saying.

What stands out on the next track titled “Oh My Love” is the chorus, it sounds so familiar yet I can’t place it. Oh and yes Breezy is rapping again. The beat is catchy and has some euro-pop feel. Would love to see a remix of this one with maybe Big Sean.

Should Have Kissed You” sounds easy on the ears and here Chris sings about a girl he should have kissed. Definitely a track for the beiber-esqe fans out there. The claps infused in the beat would make a lot of fun at concerts (not that I would be attending a Chris Brown concert). What strikes me though, is how you can base a song on a girl you should have kissed. Smh.

Ok.so I am not really sure Chris brown was the person on “Beautiful people”. The tracks already lined up to be his next single. And I am sure a lot of people would agree that this track is totally left field. Its one thing to make a pop song but it’s another to make a POP song! Just think Ibiza! Explanations Chris??

Now on to Reggae! Chris teamed up with Wiz Khalifa to make the track “Bomb”. I am still wondering if the songs about bomb or bom-bom. Curiously though it’s got undertones of Lil wayne’s 6 foot 7. I don’t know what the plan was here. I am not feeling Wiz so… Yawn! Lest I forget, “Chris what’s with all the rapping? Remember what happened to Tyrese?

“Love them Girls” features The Game, and is very hiphop inspired. The Game delivers a very Gritty sinister verse that hes known for.Thankfully though he leaves the rapping to the Game phew!

Timberland finally shows face on “Paper, Scissors, Rock”. Its your usual Timberland number. Not really feeling it right now. But rest assured it would grow on you after a little while. But seriously why title a track Paper scissors Rock? *Sighs*

“Beg for It” closes the album.. Yes you guessed right it’s about a girl and making love and all that, as is  half the songs on the album. Nothing memorable here. Yawn

With all the drama he’s got going on, including but not limited to nude pics, twitter rants and the Sisquo look and all that, I wasn’t expecting a fantastic album, so I can say I was impressed. Is it his best? Definitely no! Some very decent songs on the album. A couple of radio hits and potential singles on there but the fact is he’s not gotten back to where he was before Rihanna stole his mojo!
I agree though that he’s apologized enough. Geez people give a N***a a break people have done worse things just ask Charlie Sheen!
I would say 2.5 stars on this one joor!

# Random…. Is it just me or isn’t it weird that Chris has hardly done anything with any female artiste for a good minute? Hmmmm I wonder why?

2 comments:

  1. ur right on the Rihanna thing, but i love to c a fallen man rise.
    By the way am not sure if the video concept 4 yeah 3x suites the personality he's always created, it reminds me of leona lewis kinda music hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayyyyyy i'm so happy, my Breezy is back!!. Well i agree with you on the Album cover, the first time i saw it, i was like WTF! but well the music is what matters, i believe with in no time my baby boi is gonna go back to the top.

    ReplyDelete