Tuesday, February 8, 2011

SUPER C SEASON: REVIEW


Super C season is finally upon us and the album in 3 words; WORTH THE WAIT!
I have to say the 2 some years the album took in its making was absolutely evident with the body of work and production that went into the album. Major production work was done by TY mix, while Dr Frabz, Sarz, Ikon and Terry G handled a number of tracks. The album was Mastered by Dr Frabz
First off, I know a number of people would start to compare M.I 2 to  Super c Season, but seriously, don’t bother. These 2 albums have little or nothing in common. Naeto C’s approach to rap is way more laid back, champagne popping, let’s hit the club type whilst M.I takes you on a journey through life and his experiences in a braggadocios Manner. Phew! That was a mouthful.
Super C Season opens up with the title track, Super C season, and it’s obvious Naeto C intended to make a statement to the world that he’s really has got bars to spit. With lines like “I’m insane, Amy winehouse, you want a drink? I got a wine house. From then on its from punchline to punchline and the track itself it’s a dizzying opening track and it definitely captures your attention
The album tempo is dropped considerably with “True (Dem no fit do am)” with Omawunmi. Naeto C takes time to remind us why he’s way different from all the others and no one can do it like he can. As usual Naeto’s bounce on the beat is super addictive and Omawunmi went hard on the hook.
I have to commend Naeto C for not just throwing the played out “ako mi ti poju” on the album but rather he dropped the extended mix version with Dagrin and if that’s not pure genius, then I  guess I don’t know what genius is. Now I can’t skip that song.
By far my favorite track on the album is “carry your shoulder”, its just such a super track. Naeto says “all that bad belle needs some milk of magnesia” and all I can say is yes boss! I dare anyone to make a beat that Naeto can’t murder. Plus I am now totally convinced that the Ibo language is so sexy.
The tempo drops again on the next track “Ride tonight” which features So Sick. On this one he sings about a girl who’s driving him crazy and ask her if she would ride with him (who wouldn’t want to). Even on parts of the track where Naeto sings a few lines he actually does it like a pro and to say I was stunned would be an understatement. Bro man can sing! Autotune or not!
Its up up and away with the next track with Terry G the king of the rave. “Skimpololo” is your regular party/lets have a wild party at the beach with lots of sweat track. Nothing new here folks, its terry G and YQ, what more is there to be said. I am not a big fan of Terry G but you have to admit you can’t throw a rave without a Terry G track.
Next is the Dr Frabz produced “duro” ft YQ. No introduction here. One of the biggest tracks of last year. Enough said.
The surprise of the album to me, is the very ibo themed love song with Waje “afurum Gi nanya”. Here we have naeto C singing in Ibo! Yes folks singing in ibo, and the ever so talented “Waje” killing the hook. Would definitely be looking out for the video to this one. Once again is the ibo language sexy or what?
“5 and 6”is another love song and its so groovy! Plus there’s that sexy ibo language again. ( I know you are wondering what I am on about with the ibo thing, but try listen to the album first). This hook is top notch and is done by Naeto himself. Loving this one
Another number track follows: “10 over 10”. I remember playing this song at a party I had over here and even the white folks loved it. Once again Naeto C does a great job on the hook.
The next track is for the Rap heads but still has a nice head bumping feel. It was produced by TY mix and has that Kanye West sampling type thing going on. Lovely joint to kick back and smoke a joint to. *coughs*
“Share My blessings” is arguably one of the best tracks on here. Asa was not playing on this one and to be honest I wish Naeto would have gone in harder but I’m guessing he was overwhelmed by Asa. Not saying he sucked on the track though but he was noticeably weak in some points. Plus it’s a HUGE deal scoring Asa on your album. It’s such a great track that only a wahala person like me would notice anything wrong with it. Thumbs up TY Mix!
VooDoo is another one for the hip hop heads. Lots of strings and deep thoughts go into this one and all I can say is WOW! Naeto talks about the basic struggles in life, bad decisions, hypocrites and poor judgement. Smells like a classic to me.
“C me finish” is such a lovely track but I fear it would be overlooked on the album. Its location on the album might be a gift or a curse but well see how it all plays out.
“Ride with me”, “ex girlfriend” and “Gidi is mine” are well placed bonus tracks because they would not fit at all in the album, but even at that Naeto C was not playing on anyone of them.
All in all it’s a superb album, one that I would rate 5 stars out of 5. Even on tracks where Naeto C sings his own hook he still holds his own. A big plus for the album is the non existence of all that skit rubbish thank God. I have to admit though I am surprised I didn’t see Ikechukwu on the album but I reserve my comments on that.
Wow! This is probably my longest post yet and well deserved. Naeto C has succeeded surpassing his debut album and he would probably be relevant for many years to come. Yes Boss!
 UPDATE: 10 over 10 official video .....comments?

2 comments:

  1. Gotta get dis album! Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't a fan but i think i'm actually forced to get this album and just listen!
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete